Monday, September 16, 2013

What's in a Title?

Titles in our culture keep disappearing. A generation ago we referred to elders by their titles, like Mr., Mrs., Ms., Dr., priest, bishop, elder, pastor. More and more, titles are disappearing. Okay, so what? I mean, do titles matter? Well, Jesus was given the title of King of Kings and Lord of Lords. So it must matter. And check this out. The leper in Matthew 8 didn't say, "Jesus, if you are willing, you can make me clean." Instead, he called Jesus "Kurios," which means Lord. And he was healed. In each case, as you follow along in Matthew, every person who addressed Jesus with a title of honor, such as Lord, received something. And those who used a common way of talking to Jesus were either sent away or were rebuked. Jesus didn’t give himself a title, but God did. And Jesus didn't force anyone to use his title, but those who did received more. So what am I saying? It would be weird if my six-year-old called me by my first name, instead of "Dad.”  In life, I deserve that honor.  If someone is deserving of honor in your life, you should address them with a title. They might not demand the title, but maybe you should use it anyway.

Pastor Jason Anderson
Living Word Bible Church
Scottsdale | Mesa | Ahwatukee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous in all comments.

Contributors